Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sections 11.3-11.4, due on March 29

This may seem trivial, but I always find it difficult to follow equations or proofs when there are subscripts.  It really slows me down.  Is there a simple way to understand them?  That is kind of a silly question - it probably is just something that will get easier with more exposure and more familiarity with them.  For example, the proof of Lemma 11.9 introduced r(sub k)q(sub k+1) and then r(sub n-4) = r(sub n-3)q(sub n-2) + r(sub n-2).  In the end, it is not impossible to understand; however, it just takes me a while to get what each variable represents when they have the subunits.  I wish it flowed faster and didn't delay my reading.

The Euclidean Algorithm is pretty cool.  I really liked the way in which the gcd was found by dividing and then dividing again with the remainder into the result just acquired.  Sorry, I'm not using the proper term names, but my point is that I found it very neat how it worked out so smoothly.  Lots of things in mathematics are really fascinating.  There is such an order and it really is beautiful.  Anyway, this algorithm struck me as really neat and clever.  I'm not sure if there are future applications of it or if we build off it to learn other topics, but even if not, it was cool to learn in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment