The proofs for mathematical induction are a bit difficult to follow. Perhaps I need more practice with them or more examples. I'd expect that the homework assignments to help with the understanding. It always does. I am starting to understand the principle and the logic behind it all. As it was with past proofs, I find it challenging to know what to do. Why would you manipulate the equation algebraically like the author of the book did? How would you know to do that in order to get the desired result? I found it particularly tricky and I had to slow down to see the logic behind the manipulation of the exponenents in many of the proofs. I hope that in time I'll have the intuition to do the same.
We studied the cardinality of the power set in the past and it even showed up on the first exam. It was good to see the proof of it and that it was an induction proof. I hadn't considered that it would be proved by induction, but it makes a lot of sense, when you think about it, that that is how you would prove it. I like to see how things we learn about are being tied to things we learned about earlier in the course. I can see that things are only going to get more challenging, but tying the material to what we've learned before will help out a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment