Saturday, February 9, 2013

Preparation for Exam 1, due on February 11

As I study for the exam, I think that the study guide and practice exams provide nice direction on where to focus my study time.  I'm grateful that they are available as resources.  As I review, it looks like definitions will be very important.  This is not surprising as we went over many definitions in the text and in lecture.  I know they are at the foundation of the course and, while I know most off-hand, I'll need to get those down.  I think that proofs involving even and odd integers will be important.  There were many on the homework assignments and it looks like they appear on the practice exam.  Speaking of the practice exam, I see a combination of True/False, Multiple Choice, and Free Response.  This seems fair and I'd expect a similar format for the actual exam.

I need to work on my understanding of sets, subsets, and empty sets.  I didn't really grasp the topic the first time through, so now is the time to master it.  It seems very basic and I think that I just need it to click in my mind.  Also, I would like to get more confidence in knowing which method of proof I should choose.  Is there a good way or technique in knowing?  Or does it just come with experience?  The homework guided me well based off of what section the homework problem was in, but the exam will surely be different.

There was a problem on the second practice exam that I would like to see worked out.
 Prove or Disprove: Let A be a set. If A U B not= emptyset for all sets B, then A not= emptyset.







































No comments:

Post a Comment