Monday, February 18, 2013

6.3-6.4 due on February 19

The reading was pretty challenging.  I especially find it difficult to understand how or where the author comes up with the steps of the proof.  To me it is not something I see myself doing.  Perhaps, as more familiarity is acquired with The Principle of Mathematical Induction and The Strong Principle of Mathematical Induction, it will be easier to follow and then create similar proofs.  For now, I am frustrated by the thought of it.  It seems that there is a plan at work when new variables are introduced, but it kind of confuses me.  We start with n, then we introduce m, then there is always k.  Now we see i and let's do a proof involving a and b.  In order to prove, we need to also introduce x and y.  I think that last proof in the reading did all of this and it hurt my brain.

This second principle seems to tie in nicely with The Principle of Mathematical induction.  We are learning integration techniques in my Math 113 class right now.  For certain integrals, there is an easier way, and as it was taught to me, an only way to integrate certain integrals.  I think of this when I learn new proof methods.  I need to be smart enough to know which proof method will be appropriate for the given problem or statement.  I look forward to the challenge, knowing that there are solving similarities in this class and other math classes I've had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment