Once again, I don't know what it is about the greek alphabet, but when I see greek letters in math my mind suffers from some sort of disconnect. Delta was introduced. Then delta schemed with my old nemesis epsilon to try and create superconfusion for me. I only half-joke. This material was familiar in that I've studied calculus and limits; however, I feel like these proofs would make more sense to me if they were explained again in class. Even the graphs and diagrams in the text do not really help me understand the proof better. I think that I just need a teacher to explain them to me in "English" and not "Greekmath." Another thing: in these proofs, how do you choose the values accurately so that the proof comes out nicely? How do you know what to choose?
I did find it interesting, though - the proofs of limits, I mean. The proofs that were proven were fairly easy limits, as far as calculation goes. Still, the proofs were complicated, in my eyes. The proof about the limit of 1/x as x approaches infinity was interesting. I remember studying in calculus about 1/x not converging, but how 1/x^2 does converge. I don't remember seeing a proof, so that was cool. I see that there are so many things in mathematics that I've studied - from the recent study of limits to the past study (way past) of division - and how there are proofs and mathematical theory behind all of it. I always took that for granted. Like the division algorithm, for example, and even now regarding the limit of 1/x. Interesting to read about the proofs.
No comments:
Post a Comment