I find that these particular proofs in calculus are difficult to read speedily. I often have to reread the proofs in order to understand them fully. Also, I find myself rereading individual sentences several times just to comprehend what it is saying. A lot of the proofs are equations and inequalities that take time to see how it ties into what is trying to be proven. I'm glad that it is one of the later chapters because, to me, it takes some time to get them. Having been taught all that we've learned in this course, it goes from nearly impossible to understand (like it was for me in Math 112/113) to only time-consuming. The theorems are of particular difficulty, in my estimation. It seems easier and more practical if the proofs involve something in addition to the theorems. Proving the theorems themselves seems so hard - as was the case for all of the theorems presented in the text throughout the year.
I remember seeing the limit laws before - the ones involving their sums and products, for example. That was rather familiar and I readily made the connection. Knowing how to apply the theorems when solving problems in calculus makes it easier to understand the proofs, I think. It is nice when you know that what your learning has an application in another math class. Overall, I think that the text and the course tied into a lot of math I've learned and built upon it or deepened my understanding. The course and text were well-organized in the order in which things were taught - I think it was the ideal order. I learned a lot and it was continually surprising how many things were introduced that I hadn't learned before.
No comments:
Post a Comment