Thursday, April 11, 2013

* Make Up For Missed Reading Assignment * - Talk by Daniel Willingham

I attended the talk "What every student and teacher should know about human memory" by Daniel Willingham at 4:00 PM in 1170 TMCB on Tuesday March 12.

This was a topic that really interested me because - and this might sound silly - I feel like my memory isn't as good as it used to be.  I was interested to see if he talked about why that could be.  I already feel like an older undergraduate student at 32 years old.  Particularly in Math 290 I haven't been able to memorize as well or remember things on tests like I feel like I could as a younger student.  I was wondering if that had to do with "old age" (ha ha) or why it might be.

Anyway, the talk was very interesting.  I thought that Daniel Willingham was a very good speaker, presenter, and teacher.  He had a lot of applicable advice for his target audience.  Three of the main points he made were:

1. Memory is the residue of thought.
2. Repetition, but repetition of the deep-thinking.
3. Testing yourself is good.

I've applied the "testing yourself" idea ever since I heard his talk and I think that is effective.  It seems to really have prepared me better for my exams.  Another suggestion I've tried is explaining the material to someone.  I've tried this with my wife and, although she couldn't care less about the subject material, she listens and it's helped me know the material better through explaining to someone else.

Another thing he mentioned is that students stop studying when they get the feeling of knowing, but that this is not always reliable.  I've definitely fallen victim to this false sense of security.  I think I know something because I am familiar with it and then I go into the test and have forgotten, realizing that I might not have known it that well after all.  I am only familiar with the material, not a master of it.

The final thing that I'll mention is that he talked about "overlearning," meaning he suggested still studying even after you know it.  I agree that the advice is very good and would indeed help in earning A's on exams; however, I kind of had to laugh because I feel lucky when I'm able to put in just enough time to know the material, not "overlearn" it.  I feel like I'm far too busy.  So, if life ever slows down for me enough to "overlearn" something, I'll definitely do it - that is, if I can remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment