Overall, the reading in this section of the book was straightforward and easier to comprehend than the material in Chapter 1. One challenge is all of the definitions presented to the reader. Now we learn of disjunction and conjunction, negation, open sentences and domains, just to name a few. Also, with all of the new symbols, I find it difficult to keep the notation straight without reviewing and realizing, "Oh, yes, that is what that means in English." The challenge presents and exciting opportunity to learn all this class will offer.
The reading was interesting. I like logic and believe I am a logical thinker. Of particular interest was Example 2.6 in the section about The Implication. I found it to be an effective real-world example of an if-then statement. I could relate to the example because I have been, possibly like many other students at one time or another, in a similar situation. The author in the book presents the example: "If you earn an A on the final exam, then you will receive an A for your final grade." It really helped me understand the four different possibilities in the truth table: 1. P and Q are both true. 2. P is true and Q is false. 3. P is false and Q is true. 4. P and Q are both false.
No comments:
Post a Comment