The most difficult part was reading about the difference between "that" and "which." Both example sentences sounded correct, so I was wondering what the point was.
The solution to the equation is the number less than 5 that is positive.
The solution to the equation is the number less than 5 which is positive.
Upon re-reading, I see that there is an important difference between "that" and "which," depending on the question you are trying to answer or the point you are trying to make. I can see how these two words are confused with each other and are often not interchangable. I had to stop and think hard about restrictive and nonrestrictive clauses and how they affect the meaning of the sentences.
I feel that this section was very beneficial. I appreciated that creativity and an attitude of being yourself is encouraged in mathematical writing. Often I find myself holding onto the belief that there is a right answer and a wrong answer in mathematics, that there is a right way and a wrong way - very black and white. I found it interesting that, while there are guidelines and tips one should follow, originality can and should exist in mathematical writing, just as it does in other forms of writing. All of the advice given in the chapter will be of great benefit, especially the suggestions and guidelines. There should be order and accepted principles to follow in mathematical writing, especially when it assists the reader in understanding what you are trying to show, prove, or teach. I'm sure I will return to this chapter to use it as a reference guide in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment