Tuesday, January 29, 2013

4.3-4.4, due on January 30

Why is "absolute value" so hard to understand?  Frustratingly, it is something that doesn't come naturally to me in any of the mathematics classes I've ever had.  The proof involving the absolute value was difficult for me to understand.  I'm not sure if I just get intimidated when I see those absolute value signs |  |, but I seem to struggle.  Perhaps it was even harder because there were 3 cases and a couple of subcases.  We haven't yet read much about those things and it looks like we will be getting into some more complicated or deeper proofs.  Should be a challenge.

I find the "Proof Analysis" parts helpful because it offers an explanation as to why the author included certain parts in the proof and gives insight into the logic behind the proof.  There was one for Result 4.18 that added much needed clarification.  Then the analysis for the proof of Result 4.20 taught me a lot about if/when you need to tell the reader which technique you are using.   Without the proof analysis, sometimes, I find it hard to understand why something was done or written the way it was in the book, so they are very helpful.

I've been spending a few hours on each homework assignment.  The lectures and reading have prepared me well in completing the assignments.  I think that having something due everyday - be it a blog entry or an assignment - has contributed most to my learning by creating a schedule in which I can steadily and effectively learn the material.  I appreciate that the professor and TA are available for assistance - this always helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment